1987 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia camper
- California Van
- 2.1L Flat 4 Cylinder
- 4 Speed Manual Transmission
- 106k Miles
- Titan Red Exterior
- Gray Interior
There is a cult following of people who know how great the Vanagon Westfalia, or “Westy” vans are for travel and camping. Day after day, they enjoy trips in their own Vanagon Westfalias. Here’s your chance to be part of that group of enthusiastic people. If “glamping” at the level of some of the big RVs and travel trailers on the market today isn’t for you, take a closer look at this awesome VW. This Westy has everything you need without towing anything behind you. It features lots of upgrades, so you can enjoy some time on the road and/or in the wilderness. A long list of upgrades and maintenance have been completed, and those who know a thing or two about Westys will definitely appreciate the work that has gone into this Vanagon. Driving this will result in a smile on your face, and smiles from passersby; yes you will be passed, not doing the passing. The vehicle you see here is a 1987 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia finished in Titan Red over a Gray interior, and currently showing approximately 106,509 miles on the mechanical odometer.
The simple, boxy silhouette of a Vanagon is instantly recognizable. Short front overhang, three side windows, long front doors, and vents at the rear are a few of the ubiquitous features of the Vanagon. This van in particular is finished in Titan Red, and has a silver horizontal stripe that spans from the front to the rear. The paint has a nice even gloss, and rich color. The body is capped with the white Westfalia badged pop-top, and each end of the van features metal bumpers sourced from Van Cafe. The pop-top itself has been restored and now features new hardware, seals, new paint, added top assist struts, and new canvas and screens. Aftermarket Mercedes Benz style wheels have been added and are wrapped in Yokohama Geolandar tires, in case you want to explore off the beaten path.
Taking a Vanagon like this off the road may sound like a hair-brained idea to the uninitiated, but these Vangons are very capable vehicles. At the rear is a 2.1 Liter Watercooled Flat-4 cylinder engine mated to a 4-speed manual transmission. The engine and supporting parts have seen numerous upgrades including a rebuilt transmission, new cylinder heads, new coolant pipes, new radiator, new fuel lines, resealed fuel tank, new braking components, new ball joints and tie rod ends, just to name a few items.
If you’re going to spend time on the road, a nice interior is a must, and this Westy has that covered. Gray square-patterned, armrest-equipped seats bring you back to the late-80’s when patterned seats were stylish. The wide dashboard is in very nice condition and houses the familiar gauge cluster, Alpine Stereo, HVAC controls, and a large glove compartment. The cabinet/stove/sink area have been restored and upgraded with freshly powder coated metal components, with a new Truckfridge refrigerator having been added. Solar power and an advanced battery system are very nice upgrades for Westys and this one has both. The pop-top is easy to operate thanks to added lift assist struts, and the swivel seats and table make for a nice living area.
This van is a joy to drive and gets many thumbs up and smiles from passersby. It’s definitely ready for miles of adventure wherever you choose to bring it. The smiles per gallon will be off the charts once you hit the road.
Mechanical upgrades / exterior:
- Gowesty rebuilt manual transmission installed at 77,112
- New AMC cylinder heads /Engine reseal 105k miles.
- New 3 window pop top tent
- Jack Bombay pop top assist struts
- Van Cafe Twin Peaks rear bumper with integrated hitch
- Van Cafe Twin Peaks front bumper
- Pop top restoration. New paint, seals and stainless hardware.
- Van Cafe stainless coolant pipes
- Van Cafe stainless coolant tower
- Updated aluminum thermostat housing / Wahler thermostat
- New radiator & fan switch
- Metal rear heater tees
- Bilstein shocks / Gowesty leveling springs
- New fuel lines from tank to injectors / injector seals / fuel filter
- Complete Fuel tank reseal
- Tie rod ends
- Upper ball joints
- Front rotors / pads / wheel bearings / rubber brake lines
- Urethane lower sway bar bushings
- German Herschmann Antenna
- New Yokohama Geolander A/T Tires
- Gowesty side hook up boxes
- 100 A/H Lithium Battery bank with Red Arc 25Amp DC to DC charger. Victron smart shunt allows you to monitor battery state of charge from your phone.
- 100W Roof mounted solar panel
- Red Arc 25A DC to DC charger to charge lithium bank for alternator efficiently
- TF49 Truckfridge with RMW install kit
- All Westfalia kitchen items powdercoated original gray with new decals
- Gray Rubber floor mats in front and aisle way
More info: Listing has ended. Click to search on eBay for similar 1987 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia (Affiliate link)
Seller's other items: garage_kept_motors
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States